Tuesday, December 10, 2013

WireMaker Script

For my Python scripting class, I decided to make a tool that would help with the workflow of creating certain elements that tend to cause artists a lot of trouble, wires, cables, tentacles, you name it.

What this script basically does is to create a curve with locators, after this, the user can move around the locators and shape the curve to his needs. After he's done he can press the render wire button, this rebuilds the curve to smooth it and extrudes a shape with construction history.

Finally, the user can tweak around the radius, twist and tapering of the wire, when he's done the tool clears the extruded shape along with the curve to end up with a nice and clean scene.

There's still some minor issues or tweaks I'd like to implement, but as of now the tool is fully functional.
Big props to my instructor Jason Parks for all the assistance.







Download the script here
Hopefully some people will find it useful, again, this was my first try at Python so it's not perfect by any means, anyone is free to modify and improve it (And if you do that, by all means let me know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment